Online Voting is Now Open
About Battle River's Got Talent
What is this?
This is a community talent search! We know there are many talented individuals in our community and we want to give them the opportunity to share their talents by filming and submitting videos of themselves performing. Once we collect these submissions, a panel of judges will select winning videos for advancement.
Advancing submissions will be hosted online for a Viewers’ Choice Award. These talented performers will also perform live on the Bailey Theatre stage in a variety showcase in front of an audience! This final performance will be on September 24, 2021.
Who is organizing this?
The Bailey Theatre Society, together with the Camrose Regional Exhibition, Camrose Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Camrose Business Association, and City of Camrose Community Services Department.
This project is made possible in part by granting from the Camrose Arts Council.
What is talent?
- a: a special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude
b: general intelligence or mental power : ABILITY
- the natural endowments of a person
From the Battle River’s Got Talent Committee
Performances, songs, tricks, skills, displays; anything that you’ve always wanted to share with the world.
Who can submit?
Anyone. This is a wide open search.
When do I need to submit?
The deadline for submissions is August 1, 2021. Any submissions received after that date may not be accepted.
Those selected to move on to the next round will be contacted by email.
Why should I submit?
We have a $1000 prize pool, to be distributed to multiple participants as selected by our judges and the Viewers’ Choice.
Paid performance – OktoberStock
Select performers may be chosen for a performance gig on the the OktoberStock mainstage, at the discretion of the C.R.E.
This is a great opportunity for public recognition. We want to help get your name out into the community: there are a lot of local event organizers and a quality submission is a great way to get noticed for future opportunities.
Who are the judges?
The Battle River’s Got Talent Committee has reached out to members of the community that we know will be a great fit. There are a wide array of backgrounds and expertise and we’re aiming to have over 20 judges on our panel.
We’ll release the full list of judges as part of our promotions this summer.
What does the final performance look like?
The best part is, we don’t know exactly what the final event for Battle River’s Got Talent will look like. The submissions are what will determine how the final event looks.
What we do know:
- Final performers showcase and Award will be September 24 at the Bailey Theatre.
- Only finalists selected by the judging panel will advance to the final stage.
How will Viewers’ Choice work?
Winning submission videos will be uploaded on this website. A voting portal will open up asking for a voter’s name, email address, and choice of favourite video(s).
Submissions closed August 1, 2021.
How do I submit?
Film yourself recording your talent. Send the video to email@example.com with your name and preferred contact information. Please note that by submitting your video, you are agreeing to having your video shared with the community, should it be chosen.
If you’re not a filmographer, don’t worry. We’ve compiled a list of handy tips below.
Are there submission restrictions?
Videos may be no more than 5 minutes in length. Videos must also be appropriate for viewing by all ages.
Can I submit with a group?
Absolutely. If your talent is group-based, we definitely still want to see it.
My video is too large to be sent by my email account. How can I submit?
Some emails might have size limits on attachments. WikiHow has a great article on how you can navigate around some of these limits.
If you’ve tried the above and are still having difficulty, send us an email and we’ll see what we can do.
Can I be in more than one submission?
If you want to. We recommend that it’s better to submit one great video than two “okay” videos. Quality over quantity will be the key to advancing to the next round.
Do you have tips for filming?
We’ve asked some experts and have compiled the following suggestions:
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Don’t be afraid to film your performance several times and use the best version.
- Be confident, you’ve got this!
- Don’t worry about video post-production. If you film your talent at a high enough setting (sufficient lighting and quality), your talent will shine through.
- If possible, have someone dedicated to filming (a friend or family member). That way, you can focus on performing and they can focus on filming.
- If possible, use a tripod to keep your device steady.
- In many cases, a smartphone’s mic will suffice for audio. If your talent is music, you may want to record using an audio interface.
- Reduce ambient noise as much as possible. A background rattling or train horn might distract from your performance.
- Most smartphones will be able to capture your talents just fine, a fancy DSLR shouldn’t be needed.
- Avoid vertical video, horizontal videos will almost always be better.
- Check your device settings in advance. Eg. a high-quality video setting is 1080p at 30 frames per second.
- Don’t use digital zoom. Instead, move the device closer or further to fill as much of your video frame as possible. Don’t have your device so close that heads or other extremities are being cut off in the frame.
- Make sure your device is focused. Most smartphones will do this automatically if you tap on the subject of the film (the performer).
- Avoid using your device’s flash.
- Have plenty of light in the space you’re in. Be aware of shadows on your face, etc. If required, use additional lighting to help reduce these shadows.
- Make sure your lens is clean.
Does submitting mean I’m automatically entered into the Viewers’ Choice?
Unfortunately, no. To ensure appropriateness and prevent over saturation of videos, only a limited number of videos will be hosted.
I have questions, what should I do?
Questions and submissions can be sent to
We will try to respond to everyone in a timely manner, but please be aware that it may take several days for responses.